Monday, August 15, 2011

The Blind Conscience ~ Threadcakes contest, 2011

It's that time again, the weird contest "Threadcakes" where people use a Threadless t-shirt design and create a cake.  I chose a design that would be really challenging.  I used a 2-D image of a face profile, and translated that into a 3-D cake sculpture.   My entry and process photos can be viewed here.   The t-shirt design I chose was aptly titled:  "The Blind Conscience".


I managed to use all cake except for 2 smalls straws and a thin, 4" long piece of foam core under the jaw.    I had some issues with humidity and had to keep refrigerating the head as I worked on it, and ultimately decided to slant the head upward to help keep it stable.   Gravity...  The cake was my dark chocolate cake filled with vanilla-ginger icing, and covered in vanilla fondant (all ingredients are vegan).  This year's entry was definitely more challenging, but it was a lot of fun!  I really enjoy sculpting cakes.
  

2 comments:

Jamie said...

It is pure awesome! Your town is very lucky indeed to have such talent.

Kristi said...

Thank you Jamie! Right back at you!